Choosing a Stun Gun That’s Right For You
On first glance, choosing a stun gun that’s right for you can seem daunting. But it doesn’t have to be an overwhelming task. Armed with some basic information and a few facts, choosing a stun gun should be simple, quick and easy.
There has never been a better selection of Stun Guns and Tasers® available to the public as there is now. The personal security industry has responded to the huge demand for self-defense products by developing and manufacturing the most effective, technologically advanced stun devices ever.
Stun Guns and Tasers® are very similar products. The Taser® will fire 2 prongs out of a gun type of device towards the assailant and the Stun Gun must come in contact with the assailant. Many people call the Taser® a Stun Gun, technically it is; but more advanced and the consumer model the C2® will act as a Stun Gun after the prongs have been fired.
Let’s figure out what is best, by addressing some of the most frequently asked questions about Stun Guns:
1) What is a Stun Gun?
- Stun Guns are very simple, battery operated, electronic devices designed to shock and incapacitate an assailant.. They are not actually guns. They don’t shoot bullets. They are an affordable, effective, non-lethal alternative to firearms.
2) Why should I have a stun gun?
- If you consider your odds of being the victim of a violent crime, it makes a sense to be prepared in the event the unthinkable occurs. If it does become necessary to defend yourself or a loved one from a merciless attacker who is hell-bent on harming you, then having a stun gun handy will help even the odds. You don’t even necessarily have to “stun” someone to stop an attack. To stop a perilous situation from escalating, it may only be necessary to expose and “test fire” your stun gun. The sight and sound of the electrical arc flashing brightly and loudly crackling is an ominous, intimidating deterrent to a would-be assailant.
3) How does a stun gun work?
- Most stun guns have two electrodes at the front of the device that you press against your assailant while you push a “trigger” button which introduces a powerful, non-lethal electric current that passes through his/her clothing and into his/her body. Just a few seconds is sufficient to render even a large, strong, imposing person helpless. The resulting shock will cause the attacker to lose control of his/her muscles and fall to the ground completely disoriented and confused, totally disabled. Technically, the electric shock temporarily interrupts the tiny neurological impulses that control and direct voluntary muscle movement. The effects of being “stunned” typically last from a few minutes to a half-hour or more, giving you precious time to escape an attacker.
4) Will I be shocked too?
- The answer is: absolutely not! Although the current will easily and effectively flow through several layers of the assailant’s clothing, it will be absorbed by the attacker even if he/she has a hold of you. The only way for the user to be stunned is by direct contact with the stunning probes.
5) Can being “stunned” cause a heart attack?
- Stun guns do not kill or cause permanent injury. Nor will they cause a heart attack, even if the person has a heart condition. The disabling effects are only temporary but can provide life-saving moments to escape an attacker and save your life.
6) Are stun guns legal?
- Some states and local municipalities restrict the use, possession and/or sale of stunning devices. The states that say they are illegal in their state are: NY, IL, NJ, RI, HI, MI, WI, and MA. Also parts of the District of Columbia, parts of Maryland and the city of Philadelphia. Before you purchase a stun gun, be sure that you determine what laws or restrictions may apply in the jurisdiction where you live. Have it in your possession, you will be ultimately responsible. See the ultimate list of state laws.
7) What are the different types of stun guns?
- Size: There are 3 basic sizes – small, medium and large. The smallest, often referred to as “minis” are usually between 2-5 inches long. Maybe small enough to be concealed within your hand. Some “mini” models are even disguised to look like cell phones. The most notable characteristic of the mini is how easy they are to carry and the ability to conceal them. The medium size are slightly larger but still easy to carry and conceal in a pocket or purse. This size is amongst the most affordable, starting around $25 and an excellent choice for “body carrying” or discreetly carrying in your auto. The largest models, or “Batons” are usually 12-20″ long and a favorite choice of law enforcement, body guards, bouncers and security guards. The “baton” models are also an excellent choice for home defense and, because of their extended reach, are popular with walkers, runners and bicyclers to ward off dog attacks.
- Power: The stopping power of stun guns is determined by their output voltage.There is really no limit to how much power a stun gun can have. Some have as little as 200,000 volts and some have as much as 22,000,000 volts. In theory, the higher the voltage, the better and quicker their stopping power. However, more isn’t necessarily better. There is a point of of diminishing return with respect to power or voltage. Even a less powerful (50,000 volt) stun gun has adequate power to drop an attacker.
- Price: Effective, high-quality stun guns start under $25. You don’t need to spend more than $100, even for the top-of-the-line models with all the bells and whistles. The average price is in the $50-$100 range. Affordable pricing makes owning and carrying a stun gun a wise investment.
8) What other features are available that I should consider before buying a stun gun?
- A disable pin is very practical. This prevents an attacker from taking the stun gun away and using it on you. A wrist strap is attached to the disable pin that plugs into the bottom of the stun gun. If the stun gun is taken away from, you the disable pin will pull out, preventing it from working.
- Some models have a built-in personal alarm which adds another dimension to your ability to ward off a dangerous situation. Would-be attackers like stealth and surprise, so if you activate an ear-piercing alarm that attracts instant attention during a confrontation, they likely will stop, turn and run away fast.
- Other models include a built-in flashlight; making them a perfect choice for carrying after dark. A flashlight-equipped stun gun serves to blind as well as the ability to stun them.
- A rechargeable stun gun is convenient. Eliminating the need to frequently test and replace batteries is a very handy feature.
The ultimate decision regarding which model to choose and which features are important is unique to your situation and should be based on your lifestyle, intended application, need, budget and personal choice. The important thing is to be informed about the risks that you face every day and be prepared. A stun gun is an excellent self-defense tool that is affordable and effective. Any stun device or self-defense tool is better than none! Regardless of your age, sex, social status, employment, location, lifestyle, daily routine or physical abilities…you are at risk to being the victim of a crime. It makes sense to take the steps necessary to even the odds against an attacker. 9) Final Note: There is a con or negative to Stun Guns. You Must be up close and Personal with a Stun Gun. Although sometimes, the sound may scare your attacker and it may not. Get Pepper Spray with your Stun Gun for the ultimate Self Defense Package.